Are you seeking an easy and festive dessert recipe this holiday season? Look no further.
These tasty little pies make wonderful gifts, as well as dainty desserts at Christmas and Solstice celebrations. Feel free to experiment with different fruits and jams. This traditional recipe is easy to make vegan, just use a vegan pastry dough, such as Pepperidge Farm Frozen Puff Pastry Sheets which are both vegan and kosher certified. Happy Holidays everyone!
1 teaspoon allspice
1/4 cup grated green apple
1 1/4 cups mixed dried fruit, chopped
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons brown rum (optional)
3 tablespoons strawberry jam
1 tablespoon orange rind
2 sheets of puff pastry dough
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray oil two 4-5 inch tart pans (Or you can use smaller 1-3” tart pans). Set aside.
- Add all fruit filling ingredients to a bowl. Stir until fully combined. Set aside.
- Add the pastry dough to the pans and push carefully into the sides. Slice off the excess pastry and set aside.
- Using a star-shaped pastry cutter cut out the stars you need from the leftover pastry and set aside.
- Prick the base of the pastry pans with a fork to prevent it from bubbling up in the oven.
- Bake in the oven for ten minutes or so until the pastry has browned and the base has hardened.
- Divide the fruit mixture between the pastry pans and spread it out with a spoon to tightly pack the fruit mixture into the corners. Make sure you really press it down tightly.
- Top with the pastry stars. Brush pastry stars and pie edges with a brush dipped in water or milk, and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 30 minutes or so until the pastry star has browned and the fruit mixture is slightly bubbling.
10.Allow to sit for five minutes before serving.