The Lettie W. Jensen Community Center is located on Main Street, just north of the Tomorrow River Schools. Constructed in 1988, with funds donated as a memorial to Lettie W. Jensen, a former resident of Amherst, it is privately owned and operated by the Amherst Area Foundation. Our major facilities include a large community/meeting room, a heat and serve kitchen, a recreation room, multiple meeting rooms, and a 250 seat theater featuring state-of-the-art computer stage lighting and curtains available for theatrical/music performances and other public gatherings.
The Jensen Center is home to Portage County's ADRC elderly meal program on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. We also host monthly exercise classes by Inertia Fitness, weekly card games & Scrabble, and crafting classes. We are a popular location for such events as wedding receptions, anniversary parties, fundraisers, and baby and bridal showers. In March of 2003, the Jensen Center began publishing “Our Community Spirit,” a community newspaper for the Amherst, Amherst Junction, Lanark, Stockton, Nelsonville, and New Hope townships in Portage County with a circulation of over 2500 residents.
Board of Directors
Amherst Area Foundation, Inc.
- David Wright, President
- Sandra Lynne Schmutzler, Vice President
- Paul Graham, Secretary
- Wayne Orthwein, Treasurer
- Tom Pease
- Mary Peplinski
- Jerry Riederer
- Vickie Vaughn
- Jason Blenker
- Holly Hurda
- Dennis Cook
- Rick Hollin
- Michael Toelle
- Brent Frankenhoff, Executive Director
- Mariah Singer-Brown, Associate Director
- Wendy Wolfe, Administrative Assistant
- Eleonore Hebal, Web Design
- Chris Pehoski, Maintenance Supervisor
- Amber Winkleman, Youth Soccer Coordinator
- Bonni Miller, Publisher/Editor | Community Spirit News